The 52 Project
A Weekly Exploration of Photography Concepts
What is The 52 Project?
The 52 Project is a weekly photo prompt email program full of inspiration designed to teach you the various functions of your camera along with basic composition rules.
The 52 Project is for you if:
- You received a camera as a gift and you're all jazzed to use it but you're overwhelmed by the buttons and dials
- You're new to photography and want to create photos you're proud of
- You're a seasoned amature in a creative funk looking for some inspiration
- You want to get back to basics, photographically speaking
- You want to embark on a personal photography project, but a 365 (or even a 30 day) daily project is too intense, or the prompts are too vague
- You want to be part of a community of other photography enthusiasts with similar goals
- You want to learn the functions of your camera, as well as basic photography "rules" and have fun doing it!
- Photography is not your means of creative expression
- You don't own a camera of any type
What you get:
- Weekly emails with the prompt, a full explanation of the technique, and several example images for inspiration. Your first email will be sent the day you sign up, with subsequent emails arriving every 7 days
- Access to a private Facebook group for sharing photos and asking questions
- A handy dandy Pocket Guide for tracking the prompts you've completed
- At the end of the course, you'll receive an e-book with all the course content for easy reference
- A camera. Any camera -- DSLR, point and shoot, cell phone, film, Polaroid
- A willingness to experiment and try something new
- The ability to recognize that there will be bad photos and it's not only ok, it's expected. That's how we learn and grow
- No judging yourself
- No comparing your photo to others posted, resulting in feeling less than someone else
- Participate when you want. If a prompt isn't speaking to you a particular week, skip it
- Share if you want, don't share if you don't want
- If you do post a photo for sharing, please go back and leave a comment on the previous five photos shared. Offer gentle critique only if requested
- Be nice
- Have fun!
Hi I'm Diane! Welcome here!
My goal is to help you understand all the dials, knobs and buttons on your camera so you can create the images you envision. The camera is a tool used to tell our unique story, visually. It's by making the mechanics of using the camera second nature that we can then dive deeper into what we are trying to convey, and create authentic photos of what matters most. When our brain is free from having to think about how to create a photo, it's open to explore why. Please know that what matters most to you today will not be what matters most to you in one years- five years- or ten years-time and that's just as it should be. As we change, grow and evolve, so does our story and the way we choose to tell it.